Sunday, August 12, 2012

Special Sunday Cooking

For no special reason I decided to go a bit crazy in the kitchen today and make a few (hundred) things.  I think its my mental preparation for the dear Julia Child's birthday approaching this week.  I felt inspired and decided to hit the farmers market, stop and shop, and whole foods all in one day.  Popped open some red wine, cut some fresh herbs, defrosted some chicken stock and went to town
1.  Dinner was a lovely and surprisingly light Pork Chop Scarpiello, prepared the same as chicken minus the sausage and dark meat.  I brined the chops as usual so they were plump and tender, browned in a pan, removed from the heat
  • Add shallots, garlic, jarred hot cherry peppers, a few spoon fools of the hot pepper liquid, chicken stock, lemon juice and fresh parsley
  • Done and Delish in about 25 min
  • Served with sauteed fresh spinach and baked potato (and fresh crusty bread of course)
2.  A hot sunny day at the market seemed like a good day for hot peppers, I bought about a half pound of red and green Italian long HOTS








  • Cut the stem, sliced into thick strips, toss with olive oil and S&P Add 3 cloves sliced garlic
  • Cover w/foil and bake @ 375 for 40/50 mins till roasted
  • These will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for a few weeks...if they last that long
  • Add to sandwiches, eggs, burgers, or on bread w/cheese
3.  The main event was the Bolognese Sauce a perfect make ahead sauce, as I plan on letting it cook for a few hours today, and a few more tomorrow and serving in a few days, with a container or two for the freezer of course.  This classic sauce is a mixture of proteins, wine, tomotoe and herbs
"Rich without being heavy, a ragu is a meat sauce with tomato, it is not a tomato sauce with meat" Emeril Lagasse
  • I wont pretend that this is my recipe, its adapted from years of reading several other recipes
  • I use a veal 1/2, beef 1/4, pork 1/4 combo - sold as meatloaf mix or you can buy seperately
  • Diced carrot, onion, celery, garlic
  • Dry White wine, tomato paste, beef or chicken stock
  • Fresh rosemary, thyme, bay leaf


4. The last stop on my crazy train is a light dessert, not that I was in the mood for baking but I honestly wanted to get rid of a few things in my fridge (Pie crust, blueberries, and ricotta cheese).  I found a few things and created this one:
Blueberry Tart

No comments:

Post a Comment